Marlin 1895 Classic 45/70 Lever Action Rifle
The Marlin 1895 Classic 45/70 Lever Action Rifle, there’s 1 rifle that stands out as the most oversized practical bore to use for short-range game busting. Furthermore, the Marlin 1895. Chambered in the ancient 45-70, 1895 can fire uploaded rounds to stoutly knockdown deer, bear, elk, and anything else in North America.
To put it simply, 45-70 is not super convenient for hunting. Moreover, 3 power levels (original, lever, and falling block) complicate the already meager ammo offerings at the local gun shop. And if you’re hunting with your 1895, you want the powered-up lever-action loads because they make a big difference in the effective range of this round. In addition, Hornady’s LEVERevolution product helps extend the range and is made for lever-action rifles and is the plain choice for extended range factory-loaded ammunition for this rifle. Depending on your shop, you may find some heavy-duty stuff, but it’s certainly not widespread. Once you get into reloading, there are some perfect options out there.
Moreover, they are not incredibly convenient. There are 45 caliber bullets for 45 ACP and 45 Colt that can confuse reloading for the 45-70. Similarly, the Hornady’s FTX bullets that they use in their Leverevolution line do not work with regular length 45-70 cases; they need a much more trimmed down point that’s practically proprietary to Hornady. So you have to make a choice, run with Hornady’s cases and bullets for reloading or go with the standard length cases and bullets. If you want a maximum extended range, Hornady is the clear solution.
- Manufacturer Number: 70460
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Lever action; side ejection; solid-top receiver; deeply blued metal surfaces; hammer block safety.
- Barrel Length: 22 in. with deep-cut Ballard-type rifling (6 grooves).
- Twist Rate: 1:20 r.h.
- Overall Length: 40.5 in.
- Caliber: 45/70 Gov’t.
- Capacity: 4-shot tubular magazine
- Finish: Blue Barrel
- Grips: American black walnut pistol grip stock with a fluted comb; cut checkering; rubber rifle butt pad; tough Mar-Shield® finish; swivel studs.
- Sights: Adjustable semi-buckhorn folding rear ramp front sight with brass bead and Wide-Scan™ hood. Solid top receiver tapped for scope mount; offset hammer spur (right or left hand) for scope use.
- Weight: 7.5 lbs